Duke Police are seeking information on four individuals suspected of entering a residence hall on Duke’s East Campus and stealing a laptop, electronic equipment and other personal items from a couple dorm rooms.
The four suspects, pictured below, entered Gilbert-Addoms Residence Hall about 10:40 p.m. Monday after trailing behind a student who opened the secured residence hall door. The suspects were captured on video leaving the residence hall about six minutes later carrying the electronic equipment.
The crime was reported to Duke Police about an hour later. Investigators were able to pull video footage from security cameras at the entrance to the dorm to identify the suspects.
Duke Police suggest the following tips to protect property and ensure safety on campus:
- Lock your residence or office when away and secure your belongings.
- Don’t prop open doors, especially doors accessed with a DukeCard.
- Alert police to strangers or suspicious activity in your area.
- Don’t leave valuables or electronics unattended.
- Personal electronics (laptops, etc.) can be engraved with your driver's license number to deter theft. Engraving will help police get in touch with you when stolen items are recovered. For an appointment, call (919) 681-5609.
Anyone with information about the incident or about the four suspects are encouraged to contact Duke Police by calling 919-684-2444, submitting a tip through the LiveSafe Mobile app or submitting an online report.