Duke staff and faculty can get a taste of Learning & Organization Development’s Excellence Certificate program with lunch-and-learn sessions through December.
Each one-hour gathering will focus on one of the seven professional development certificates: Administrative Assistant, Executive Assistant, Training, Customer Service, Supervisory, Leadership, and Technical.
An instructor from Learning & Organization Development, a unit within Duke Human Resources, will lead each session with a brief lesson or activity followed by information you need to know about the certificate program. Employees are encouraged to bring questions as well as their lunch.
“We wanted to put something out there to connect with the Duke community that’s helpful and fast,” said Joy Birmingham, assistant director of Leadership and Professional Development for L&OD. “This is a chance for people who are interested in their professional development to come out and find the courses they want to take and how they can benefit from each course.”
Each of the following sessions run from 12-1 p.m.:
- July 31: Supervisory Excellence in Room 249 at Rubenstein Library
- Aug 1: Supervisory Excellence in Room 2003 at Duke University Hospital
- Aug. 3: Training Excellence in Room 103 at 406 Oregon St.
- Sept. 7: Customer Service Excellence in Room 349 at Rubenstein Library
- Oct. 22: Technical Excellence at Room 103 at 406 Oregon St.
- Nov. 14: Leadership Excellence at Duke University Hospital
- Dec. 12: Using the Learning Management System in Room 218 at Perkins Library
Register by logging into the Learning Management System and searching for “Lunch and Learn.”
Employees have earned 209 certificates since the program launched in 2014. Another 2,500 employees are currently working on earning a certificate in one of the seven disciplines.