At its quarterly meeting, the Duke University Board of Trustees began a year-long program of strategic engagement focused on Duke’s upcoming comprehensive fundraising campaign. The program, which includes participation by students, faculty and administrators, aims to build a shared understanding of the campaign and its goals and priorities.
Friday’s meeting, which marked the first of the program’s four sessions, included a panel discussion with development vice presidents from other universities about lessons learned from their recent and current campaigns.
President Vincent E. Price led a discussion on how the emerging priorities and focus areas of Duke’s upcoming campaign align with the university’s strategic framework. Trustees and other participants also heard a high-level overview of the proposed campaign framing from W. Christopher Clarke, associate vice president, Duke Campaigns, and David L. Kennedy, vice president, Alumni Engagement and Development.
In other business, the board:
- Welcomed new trustees Karen M. King, James C. Zelter, Kacia A. Anderson, and Edgar Virgüez;
- Welcomed new leaders including Suzanne Barbour, dean of The Graduate School and vice provost for graduate education, and Jon Scheyer, men’s basketball head coach;
- Received an update from undergraduate students on their experience with experiential orientation, a signature program of QuadEx;
- Reviewed the annual report on Duke University’s endowment, which is managed by DUMAC;
- Reviewed the university’s annual financial report;
- Received an update on intercollegiate athletics; and
- Approved recommendations from the board’s standing committees.