Former Board of Trustees chair G. Richard Wagoner (T ’75) will chair the search committee for Duke’s next Vice President and Director of Athletics to succeed Kevin White, who is retiring in August, President Vincent E. Price announced Wednesday.
Wagoner retired as chairman and CEO of General Motors in 2009 and is currently a private investor and corporate board member. He served on the Duke Board of Trustees from 2001-2013, and as chair from 2011-2013. Valerie Ashby, dean of Duke’s Trinity College of Arts and Sciences, will be vice chair of the search committee.
“I am grateful to Rick Wagoner and Valerie Ashby for their leadership,” said Price. “This committee is an all-star team of individuals who care passionately about athletics at Duke and will bring the broadest possible experiences and perspectives to the search for this critical position.”
In addition to Wagoner and Ashby, the other members of the search committee include:
- Lisa M. Borders T’79, Duke trustee, CEO of the LMB Group
- Ross Cockrell T'12, Professional Football Player, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and former student athlete
- Keisha Cutright, Associate Professor of Marketing, Fuqua School of Business
- Daniel Ennis, Executive Vice President
- Laura Gentile T’94, Senior Vice President for Marketing and Social Media at ESPN and a former student athlete
- JT Giles-Harris, Co-Captain, Duke Men’s Lacrosse
- Mary Pat McMahon, Vice President/Vice Provost for Student Affairs
- Todd Mesibov, Senior Associate Director of Athletics for Compliance
- Brian Murray, Research Professor and Director of the Duke Energy Initiative
- Jolene Nagel, Head Coach, Women’s Volleyball
- Stephen G. Pagliuca T’77, Duke trustee, Co-chairman of Bain Capital
- Ann Pelham T’74, Duke trustee and retired journalist
- Martha Putallaz, Professor of Psychology and Neuroscience and Faculty Athletics Representative
- Steven M. Scott H’78, Duke trustee, Chairman of Scott Holdings LLC
The committee will be assisted by Parker Executive Search and Laura Brown, Assistant Secretary and Director of Board Operations.