Duke University’s comprehensive COVID-19 testing and contact tracing program administered 19,448 tests to 9,944 students and 2,495 tests to 1,329 faculty/staff for the period March 22-28 2021, with a total of 43 positive results. The total positivity rate was 0.20 percent.
This represents a significant decline in positive cases among students from last week.
Summary of results from this period:
- 19,364 surveillance tests were administered to asymptomatic undergraduate and graduate students who are living on and off campus with 22 positive results
- 84 tests were administered to students who reported symptoms or were identified through contact tracing with three positive results
- 2,412 surveillance tests were administered to asymptomatic faculty/staff who are working on campus this semester and are voluntarily participating in the testing program with seven positive results
- 83 tests were administered to faculty/staff who reported symptoms or were identified through contact tracing with 11 positive results
- 13 of the 18 new positive cases among faculty/staff are connected to the East Campus Marketplace Dining Facility
- All individuals who test positive are required to observe an isolation period until they are cleared to return to normal activities; contact tracing is underway to identify those who may have been exposed and ask them to quarantine
- 101 students who had been in isolation and 204 who had been in precautionary quarantine were cleared to return to normal activities
- Positive cases were identified through surveillance testing for asymptomatic students as well as tests for those exhibiting symptoms. The individuals who tested positive have been placed in isolation, while those identified as potential contacts have been placed in precautionary quarantine.
- All students who are placed in precautionary quarantine or isolation are monitored by Duke Student Health and have the ability to continue their coursework remotely
- Duke has more than 300 individual beds for students who live in Duke-provided housing and are identified for isolation or quarantine
- Students who live in Duke-provided housing will be isolated or quarantined in campus facilities; students who live off campus must isolate or quarantine in their residence.
- Tests administered to student-athletes are included in these results
Types of tests administered in this period:
- Surveillance testing for asymptomatic students (on and off campus) and faculty/staff
- Clinical testing for individuals who report symptoms or who are identified through contact tracing
More information on Duke’s COVID-19 testing program can be found at https://coronavirus.duke.edu/covid-testing/. Results are updated every Tuesday morning.