In June, Duke University hosted a day-long symposium, Living While Black, in which 50 Black faculty, staff and students shared personal stories of racism and discrimination, presented research on racial inequities, and issued urgent calls for change.
Working@Duke is introducing a new series that will highlight individuals, departments, schools and units that are taking action to better understand and address racial inequities in our Duke community.
And we want you at the center of the continuing conversation.
We invite Duke faculty and staff to design a graphic to represent the series. Your art entry should reflect the values and aspirations of Duke as an inclusive community that honors people of color and their experiences and contributions.
All art that meets these guidelines will be entered into the design contest:
- Participants must be currently employed, benefits-eligible Duke University or Duke University Health System staff or faculty.
- Only one design per staff or faculty member is eligible.
- The art must be 6-inch-by-6-inch in a circle, square or rectangle format.
- Copyright images/designs are not permitted.
- The design must not have derogatory or offensive content.
- Submit the art in high resolution (300 dpi) JPG, PNG, TIFF or EPS file format.
- By submitting the design, participants authorize Duke University and Duke University Health System to use the information provided for use in promotional purposes, which may include publications, videos, displays, the Internet, and/or other print. electronic communications.
- Design submission deadline is 12 p.m. on Oct. 26, 2020.
- If you have a question, please write firstname.lastname@example.org.
All approved designs will be submitted to Duke staff and faculty for voting soon after Oct. 26, 2020. Identifying information such as the employee artist's name, school, department and unit will not be included with the design. Each community member will be permitted to vote on one design.
The top five designs will move to the selection round. A panel of Duke staff and faculty members will select one art design to accompany the Working@Duke series. Identifying information such as the employee artist's name, school, department and unit will not be included with entries.
The selected design will accompany the new series in the Working@Duke print magazine and stories on the Working@Duke section of Duke Today.
The employee artist will receive their design in a custom frame.
The selected employee artist and design, and runners-up and their designs, will be featured in a special story on the Working@Duke section of Duke Today.