Ten faculty members and advisers receiving Undergraduate Teaching, Leadership & Diversity Awards from the Trinity College of Arts & Sciences were honored at a reception April 11 in Perkins Library.
The awards are given annually by the dean’s office in recognition of exceptionally strong teachers working across the college. This year, Trinity’s Arts & Sciences Council led the nomination and selection process for several categories. One notable exception, the alumni teaching award, was decided by a committee of students.
“All honorees have gone beyond the call of duty as teachers, advisers, and all-around departmental, library, and campus citizens to make the academic and existential experience of our undergraduate students stronger and more inclusive.”
-- José María Rodríguez García
“The four categories into which the nine prizes may be classified – teaching, advising, diversity, and leadership – co-exist in an ecosystem of mutual support and presupposition,” said Council Chair José María Rodríguez García. “All honorees have gone beyond the call of duty as teachers, advisers, and all-around departmental, library, and campus citizens to make the academic and existential experience of our undergraduate students stronger and more inclusive.”
The 2018-2019 winners:
Distinguished Teaching Awards
- Susan Rodger, professor of the Practice, Computer Science – David and Janet Vaughn Brooks Award
- Kevin Welsher, assistant professor, Chemistry – Robert B. Cox Award
- D. Sunshine Hillygus, professor, Political Science – Howard D. Johnson Award
- Deborah Reisinger, associate professor of the practice, Romance Studies – Richard K. Lublin Award
- Marion Quirici, lecturing fellow, Thompson Writing Program – Award for Excellence in Teaching Writing
- Leonard White, associate professor, Psychology & Neuroscience – Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Teaching Award
Awards for Excellence in Advising
“These individuals epitomize the excellence we are committed to providing every day, both inside the classroom and beyond,” said Trinity Dean Valerie Ashby in a letter announcing the award winners.
Read more about this year’s recipients and see honorees from past years on the Trinity College website: https://trinity.duke.edu/faculty/award-winners.