President Vincent Price has announced the 16 members of a Commission on Memory and History that is tasked with advising him and recommending principles related to campus memorials and the naming of campus facilities.
The full text of the announcement can be found here.
Trustee emeritus Frank E. Emory Jr. ’82, a partner in the law firm of Hunton and Williams, will chair the commission. Gráinne Fitzsimons, professor at The Fuqua School of Business and professor of psychology and neuroscience, will serve as vice chair.
Other members are:
- William R. Ferris, Joel R. Williamson Eminent Professor of History and senior associate director, Center for the Study of the American South, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- W. Barker French ’63, Durham civic leader and former president of the Duke Alumni Association
- Michael Ivory, Jr. ’18, Duke undergraduate student
- Elizabeth Kiss, president of Agnes Scott College and a Duke trustee
- Adriane D. Lentz-Smith, professor of history at Duke
- David F. Levi, dean, Duke University School of Law
- Robert R. Penn ’74, president, Penn Resources Inc., and a Duke trustee
- Thomas Pfau, Alice Mary Baldwin Professor of English at Duke, with secondary appointments in Germanic Languages & Literature and in Duke Divinity School
- The Rev. Dr. Luke A. Powery, dean of Duke Chapel
- Wilhelmina M. Reuben-Cooke, ’67, professor, David A. Clarke School of Law, University of the District of Columbia, and Duke trustee emerita
- Sally D. Robinson ’55, Duke trustee emerita
- Jacqueline Robinson-Hamm, Ph.D. candidate in biomedical engineering at Duke
- Michael J. Schoenfeld ’84, Duke vice president for public affairs and government relations
- The Rev. Dr. Charles M. Smith ’62, Duke trustee emeritus
The commission is to complete its work and report to the president by Nov. 17. For more information see the commission’s website here.