Beginning July 15, Duke will begin renovations to Parking Garage 1 on Trent Drive across from Duke Clinics.
Restoration work will primarily occur at night and on weekends and involve concrete repairs, joint sealant replacement, waterproofing along the north wall of the garage, power washing and painting. Work on the 24-year-old garage is expected to continue through the end of this year.
Duke parking permit holders are not expected to be displaced to other facilities during the course of the project, however, if a need to temporarily relocate arises due to construction, permit holders will be notified in advance. Customers are encouraged to allow extra travel time since different parking sections will be cordoned off temporarily during phases of work, which may be noisy at times.
“The improvements to the systems in the garage are necessary to prolong the garage’s service life and improve our overall customer experience,” said Kyle Cavanaugh, vice president for Administration. “We appreciate the community’s support as we continue with upgrades to Duke’s campus-wide parking system.”
The $3-million in repairs to Parking Garage I are part of Duke’s overall infrastructure maintenance plan for campus garages. Several years ago, Parking Garage 2 at the corner of Fulton Street and Erwin Road underwent a $9 million renovation.
During Parking Garage 1 construction, officials urge motorists to drive through the garage with caution. Signs will be posted and fencing installed to inform and guide customers.
If you park in the garage, here’s what you need to know:
Duke permit holders
- In late July, the entry/exit at Flowers Drive will close temporarily. Instead, enter/exit on Trent Drive.
- Crews and directional signs will assist with temporary modifications.
- Parking and Transportation Services will send email notices, alerting permit holders of certain changes to parking and entry and exit routes.
Patients and visitors
- Over the weekend of July 28, the Trent Drive entry will be closed. Motorists entering the facility should instead use the Trent Drive exit.
- Over the weekend of September 1, the Trent Drive exit will be closed. Motorists leaving the garage should instead use the Trent Drive entry.
- Crews and directional signage will assist customers with temporary modifications.