Chancellor Eugene Washington has named the selection committee to conduct the national search for Duke University Health System’s next Executive Vice President & Chief Operating Officer, succeeding William J. Fulkerson, Jr., MD, MBA, who will step down from the position of Executive Vice President (EVP) at the end of 2021. The search committee will be chaired by Dr. Washington.
Fulkerson has served as EVP at Duke University Health System (DUHS) since 2008. He previously served in a number of roles of increasing importance, including Senior Vice President of Clinical Affairs for DUHS, CEO of Duke University Hospital, Vice President of DUHS, Chief Medical Officer for both DUHS and the Private Diagnostic Clinic (PDC), and Professor of Medicine in the Duke University School of Medicine (SOM).
The search committee members are:
- Matthew Barber, Chair Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Edwin Crowell Hamblen Distinguished Professor of Reproductive Biology and Family Planning, SOM and Member Board of Managers, PDC
- Denise Bennett, Senior Vice President, Wealth and Senior Client Advisor, Eastern Carolinas Regions of PNC Wealth Management, and Vice Chair Duke Raleigh Hospital Board of Advisors
- Suephy Chen, Chair Department of Dermatology, SOM, and Member Board of Managers, PDC
- Daniel Ennis, Executive Vice President, Duke University
- Jeff Ferranti, Chief Information Officer and Vice President for Medical Informatics, Duke Health
- Mary Ann Fuchs, Vice President of Patient Care & System Chief Nurse Executive, DUHS
- Katie Galbraith, President, Duke Regional Hospital and Interim Head of Community Health, DUHS
- Vincent Guilamo-Ramos, Incoming Dean School of Nursing, Duke University
- Bert Klein, III, Internal Medicine, Kernodle Clinic and Member Executive Committee of Board of Managers, PDC
- Mary Klotman, Dean School of Medicine & Vice Chancellor for Health Affairs, Chief Academic Officer, DUHS
- Michael Lipkin, Vice Chair of Clinical Operations and Associate Professor of Surgery, SOM, Associate Chief Medical Officer for Clinical Operations, PDC and At-large Member of Board of Managers, PDC
- John Mordach, Senior Vice President & Chief Financial Officer, DUHS
- Gabriela Muriel Maradiaga Panayotti, Associate Professor of Pediatrics, SOM
- Devdutta Sangvai, Vice President & Executive Director, Population Health Management Office, Duke Associate Chief Medical Officer, DUHS
- Nancy Schlichting, Duke University Board of Trustees and Vice Chair, DUHS Board of Directors
- Kevin Thomas, Associate Professor of Medicine and Assistant Dean for Underrepresented Faculty Development, SOM
Rhonda Brandon, Chief Human Resources Officer & SVP, Duke University Health System will staff the search. Executive search firm Russell Reynolds Associates has been engaged to facilitate this important process.
This national search will seek to identify candidates who share and embrace Duke Health’s values and vision of Advancing Health Together. The successful candidate must demonstrate a commitment to collaborating across the health enterprise, championing programs in clinical care, education, research, and community health; strengthening and improving healthcare delivery; and establishing partnerships that make communities healthier.
Members of the Duke community should submit nominations for and comments about the position via email to Sarah Schumacher at Sarah.Schumacher@russellreynolds.com. All submitted information will be confidential.