“U.S. policy in Syria, including the deployment of troops, is an issue worthy of national debate, but the impetuous decision of President Trump to withdraw all U.S. troops from Syria is clearly not in our national interest,” says David Schanzer, professor of the practice at Duke University’s Sanford School of Public Policy and an expert on terrorism.
“A coherent policy on Syria would address:
- How the remaining ISIS threat will be handled;
- The security of Kurdish forces and civilian population who have been strong supporters in the fight against ISIS;
- Containment of Iranian ambition in the region;
- How to influence negotiations on the future of Syria.”
“Trump’s decision addresses none of these issues. The U.S. will now be AWOT – absent without thought.”
David H. Schanzer is a professor of the practice at the Sanford School of Public Policy and director of the Triangle Center on Terrorism and Homeland Security at Duke University. He specializes in homeland security, counter terrorism strategy, policy and law.
For additional comment, contact Schanzer at:
(919) 613-7315; firstname.lastname@example.org