The Durham Holiday Parade will spread plenty of cheer on Saturday, Dec. 2. But it will also bring about some road closures and heavy traffic. So here’s what you should know.
- The parade will start at 11 a.m. The route takes it down Main St., starting downtown at the intersection of Dillard St. and ending by East Campus at Buchanan Blvd. All entrances to Main St. between those two points will be blocked off from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- There will be no parking along Main St. starting at 6 a.m. on Dec. 2. All cars left there will be towed.
- Main St. will also be closed between the Elm St. and Dillard St. intersections in order to make room for the parade’s staging area.
- Peabody St., which is slated to be the parade’s de-staging area, will also be closed.
- There will also be restricted access on Buchanan Blvd. between W. Markham Ave. and Main St. during and immediately after the event.
- With floats, buses and spectators heading home, expect heavy traffic on N. Buchanan Blvd., W. Markham Ave., Broad St. and Swift Avenue after the parade.
- There will be a Holiday Fun Fest from 1 p.m.-4 p.m. at the American Tobacco Complex featuring arts, crafts, two snow-filled play areas and an opportunity to meet Santa Claus.