Helping Colleagues and Students in Need

Duke’s outreach services provide resources for wellbeing

DukeReach, an outreach program in the Dean of Students Office, follows up on concerns and immediate crises involving a Duke student’s behavioral or physical health.
DukeReach, an outreach program in the Dean of Students Office, follows up on concerns and immediate crises involving a Duke student’s behavioral or physical health.

DukeReach

When DukeReach contacted Cara Peterson, she was still in shock over the sudden death of a close friend she met during a non-Duke study abroad trip.DukeReach, an outreach program in the Dean of Students Office, began in 2008 for faculty to turn to if they noticed a student in need of help. DukeReach staff follow up on concerns to immediate crises involving a Duke student’s behavioral or physical health. |“It made me feel very cared about by the Duke community,” said Peterson, who graduated from Duke in May. “There was someone looking out for me. At that time, you’re so shaken by everything. That was very, very comforting.”Over the years, DukeReach has grown to include three case managers and is a campus-wide resource for friends, community members, staff, faculty, and parents to call upon if a student is in need. DukeReach Director Amy Powell said the goal of DukeReach is to help community members “connect the dots,” such as noticing a student missing class or hearing of a student experiencing a traumatic event, and to educate community members on recognizing these signs and when to contact DukeReach for help.The program brings together departments such as Residence Life, Academic Affairs, Duke Police and Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) and contacts students in need of assistance. “It makes me feel like I can be a part of this web of safety and support that reaches across the campus,” said Jeff Kulley, Duke CAPS clinical director. “If there’s a student who’s struggling, they’re going to encounter a part of this web.”• Between Aug. 1, 2014, and May 12, 2015, DukeReach followed up on 1,435 reports regarding Duke students.• On average, 29 percent of reports are mental health related, the most common concern.• The remaining 71 percent of reports, on average, include concerns about physical health, academics, substance use, social/adjustment issues, family difficulties, and harassment or relationship violence. Contact DukeReach(919) 681-2455dukereach@duke.edustudentaffairs.duke.edu/dukereach

Employee Behavioral Assessment Team

Two employees aren’t getting along in an office and the situation could escalate. A patient threatens a Duke Hospital staff member. An employee shows up at work with severe bruising.These situations have one thing in common: a unified response by Duke’s Employee Behavioral Assessment Team (EBAT), a group of 10 employees who assess situations that may pose a risk to Duke staff and faculty. EBAT, which was created in 2009, is comprised of Duke Police; Staff and Labor Relations in Duke Human Resources; Duke’s Personal Assistance Service, a short-term counseling program for employees; Duke Office of Counsel; the Duke School of Medicine; and Employee Occupational Health and Wellness representatives. They meet once a month and join conference calls as needed to discuss potential risks in the workplace. “What we’re doing is taking a proactive approach to minimize the risk,” said Denise Evans, assistant vice president for Staff and Labor Relations and Staff and Family Programs.Duke employees who feel threatened, notice concerning behaviors at work, or witness a situation that may pose a threat to a coworker or workplace, can talk with their supervisor, contact Duke Police, or call Staff and Labor Relations to get EBAT involved. “We look at the whole picture, not just the employee’s situation at home, but also their work situation,” said Maj. Sara-Jane Raines with Duke Police. “It doesn’t have to wait until someone’s assaulted or someone’s arrested. Our goal is mitigate low-level behaviors before they escalate.” In 2014:• EBAT responded to 133 employee cases.• 43 percent of the cases were relationship-related, such as domestic violence.• 35 percent of the cases involved a dispute between coworkers.Contact EBATDuke Police: (919) 684-2444 Duke Staff and Labor Relations: (919) 684-2808