Choose the topics of most interest to you to follow under "My Headlines".
Traffic/Parking Advisory: Student Move-In
Durham, NC - Motorists traveling to and around Duke's East and West campuses should allow for extra travel time beginning Tuesday, Aug. 21, due to student move-in for the start of the academic year.
On Tuesday, Aug. 21, first-year students will move into residence halls on East Campus. With heavier traffic and an increase in parking needs, all parking areas on East Campus will be cleared of vehicles from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Entrances to East Campus will be closed to everyone except students moving in.
As a parking alternative, Duke permit holders can park on side streets on the perimeter of East Campus, which include Broad Street, West Markham Avenue and North Buchanan Boulevard. A two-hour parking time limit will not be enforced by city police during move-in. Employees with permits for East Campus lots may park in the visitor lot at Smith Warehouse off Buchanan Boulevard, where attendants and signage will assist with parking.
On West Campus, move-in will take place Aug. 24 to Aug. 26 and could slow traffic around Duke University Road and the traffic circle on Towerview Road. Parking and entry in some lots will also be restricted:
- Entry to the Blue Zone will only be through the iron gates off Duke University Road. The intersection of Duke University and Towerview roads will be staffed by a uniformed officer.
- The Edens "D" parking lot off Edens Drive will be designated as an unloading zone and not used for parking.
- All spaces except for reserved spaces in Card Gym, Beta and Edens "B" and "C" lots will only be available for students moving in on Aug. 25 and 26.
- Small sections of the Card Gym and Beta lots will be used for unloading, restricting some parking on Aug. 25.
Staff will be positioned at the entrance of lots around West Campus residence halls to direct permit holders to parking spaces and students to unloading areas.
For more information, call (919) 684-7275 or email email@example.com.
© 2013 Office of Communication Services
705 Broad Street, Box 90496, Durham, NC 27708
(919) 681-4533; FAX: (919) 681-7926