Choose the topics of most interest to you to follow under "My Headlines".
Winners Emerge in Football Trivia Contest
Durham, NC - Three Duke employees scored a touchdown in this year's Working@Duke football trivia contest, earning as a prize a mini football autographed by Duke football head coach David Cutcliffe.
Faculty and staff submitted answers online to 10 questions about Duke football history, its players and coaches. Of the three winners, no one answered all 10 questions correctly.
David Williams, crime prevention manager for Duke Police, was among the top scorers for the second year in a row. He said he worked on this year's set of questions a few at a time and took four or five days to complete his contest entry.
"It's a good challenge, and I learn a lot about the team," Williams said. "It's a good exercise to get geared up for football season and learn about Duke."
Williams said to find answers to the questions, he spent a lot of time using Internet search engines and also utilized the Duke football media guide. He said he had the toughest time answering a question about where former running back Robert Baldwin ranks on Duke's all-time rushing list - he's 10th on the list. He found the most interesting fact to be the defensive scheme Duke uses, which includes five players that work to cover receivers instead of a typical four.
Along with Williams, this year's other winners included Leslie Rowe, a staff assistant with the Duke Environmental Leadership Program, and Bruce Klitzman, associate professor in the Center for Biomolecular and Tissue Engineering and senior director of the Kenan Plastic Surgery Research Laboratories.
While the three winners are geared up for football season, it's not too late for other Duke faculty and staff to follow suit. Free tickets are still available to this Saturday's football game against Florida International University as part of the Employee Kickoff celebration. Employees can register for tickets until noon Saturday.
Here are the questions and answers to this year's trivia contest:
1. What was Duke's scoring average for the 2011 season?
A: 22.5 points per game
2. Duke enters its third year with Jim Knowles as defensive coordinator. What is the name of the defensive scheme Knowles employs with the Blue Devils?
3. What is David Cutcliffe's coaching record at Duke?
4. How many teams that the Blue Devils play this year finished 2011 in the top-25 rankings?
A: Four - Stanford, Virginia Tech, Clemson and Florida State
5. How many final scores were determined by one possession in 2011?
A: Six games
6. 2012 will mark the 100th season of football played at Duke or its precursor, Trinity College. What is the school's overall record?
7. How many total Blue Devil players have received first team All-America honors?
8. Duke plays North Carolina Central University for the second time ever on Sept. 15. How many total yards did Duke accumulate in their 49-14 win in 2009?
9. Former Duke player George McAfee held the NFL record for punt return average until he was passed last year by Chicago Bears' Devin Hester. What was McAfee's return average?
A: 12.78 yards
10. Robert Baldwin holds Duke's record for most rushing yards in a game with 238 against Maryland in 1994. Where does he rank on Duke's all-time rushing leaders list?
A: 10th with 1,848 yards
© 2013 Office of Communication Services
705 Broad Street, Box 90496, Durham, NC 27708
(919) 681-4533; FAX: (919) 681-7926