Choose the topics of most interest to you to follow under "My Headlines".
Save On Gifts For Mother's Day
Durham, NC - Planning on pampering mom this Mother's Day?
You won't be alone on Sunday, May 13.
According to the National Retail Federation, the average person in the U.S. celebrating the holiday is expected to spend $152.52 on gifts, up from $140.73 last year. Of the 8,724 consumers surveyed, 66.4 percent will treat mom to flowers and 54.3 percent plan to take her out for dinner or brunch.
If you are planning to spoil mom, make it a little easier on your wallet by using PERQS, the Duke staff and faculty discount program.
Here are some gift and savings ideas:
- Send flowers, plants and gifts across the street or around the world through ProFlowers and get a 15 percent discount. Visit the PERQS website and select "Other Discounts" and search under "Flowers & Gift Baskets" for ProFlowers. Your Duke NetID and password are required; you can also call (800) 210-2279 and mention "Duke."
- How about a photo shoot? Beatrice Yaxley Photography in Durham offers a 50 percent discount on a portrait session. Call (919) 536-8121 for details.
- For the mom-to-be, consider a prenatal massage at The Retreat at Brightleaf, in downtown Durham. With the 10 percent discount, the massage is $67.50 for 90 minutes. Call (919) 381-5342 for details. (Other types of massages also available.)
- Treat her to a meal. The discount program offers plenty of options for lunch and dinner discounts; 28 restaurants in the Triangle area offer discounts ranging from 10 to 20 percent.
- Take her to a concert or show. There's a 10 percent discount to Riverdance at the Progress Energy Center for Performing Arts in Raleigh May 25-27. Other discounts are available at the Carolina Theatre, the Durham Performing Arts Center and the North Carolina Symphony.
Visit the Duke Human Resources website for a full list of PERQS discounts.
© 2016 Office of Communication Services
705 Broad Street, Box 90496, Durham, NC 27708
(919) 681-4533; FAX: (919) 681-7926